Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sweet Things

Vegan Myth #4: A vegan diet is one of deprivation.

Really? Let me introduce you to my little friends: Strawberry Shortcake, Fruit Parfait, and Roasted Cherry "Chicken".

I am swimming in summer fruit over here at Casa Owen and if there's one thing I get sick of, it's plain ol' fruit -- I know, I know, but I'm a vegetable girl all the way. My first project was to tackle a giant flat of strawberries that seemed like a good idea when I was shopping on an empty stomach at the grocery store. My morning yogurt and granola parfaits could only use up so many, so, I decided that it was time to tackle vegan Strawberry Shortcake. I simply veganized the recipe in my BH&G cookbook and it turned out as yummy as anything I remember having when I was growing up.

Of course, veganizing fruit parfaits is easy with Soy Whip. You can find it in the spray can or in the carton (the latter is preferable, but you have to whip it yourself) and I am told that a rice version now exists and Sidecar carries all three.


Next, I was trying to figure out what to do with the remains of a huge container of cherries that were gifted to us from Jeff's orchard-owning customer. I wasn't a big black cherry fan before, but now I'm a convert! I added about a tablespoon each of balsamic vinegar, sugar, red wine, olive oil, and rosemary and let them marinate and get juicy for a couple of hours. Then I roasted them in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes and topped pan-fried Gardein "chicken" fillets with the results. I'm ODing on fruit now while I still can, 'cause summer will be gone before you can say September!

No comments:

Post a Comment