Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Leek Week - Part Two

So, I'm a little late in posting about last week's food, but here goes! If you recall, we had left off with an overabundance of leeks. I had used up a couple of them in the Leek and Bean Cassoulet with Biscuits, previously, but what to do with the balance? I finally decided on this little number: Coriander, Barley, Leek Soup. I topped the soup with some leeks fried in olive oil (MAJOR yum!).

Believe it or not I STILL had more leeks to use up, so I sauteed what was left (about 2 cups) in vegan margarine and made up some mashed potatoes using non-dairy milk, of course. The leeks were stirred into the mashed potatoes, and the mixture was formed into patties. Then, I coated them with breadcrumbs and fried them up in vegan margarine and served with a little Bacon Salt (vegan) Sour Cream concoction that I invented.

Another little (non-leek related) gem from last week was the White Bean and Artichoke Salad, which I modified heavily. First, I omitted the mint and olives because YUCK! I omitted the green pepper because I didn't think I had any (surprise, guess what I found in my fridge today?) and halved the red onion requirement. And, finally, I added halved cherry tomatoes and topped the whole thing with Eden Organic Spicy Pumpkin Seeds. It's safe to say that you'll come real close to getting your RDA of protein and fiber in this one side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment