Sunday, October 2, 2011

Cabbage & BEER (!!) Soup - Reprise



I know I posted this recipe last year, but it's so good that I'm just going right ahead and posting it again. Last year, I shared it to help you to use up that half-a-head of cabbage that's perpetually idling in the fridge. This year, I'm putting it in the context of football. Here's what fall means to me: soup, football, and beer. Normally, I'm a wino, but there is a time and a place for cheap beer. I like to drink Miller Lite out of a can when I'm doing yard work in the summer and I like to drink it in the fall on Sundays while watching football. So, let's combine three of my loves today (four if you include the cabbage, five if you include the french-fried onions): beer, soup, football. The beer in this recipe will make even surliest, most skeptical carnivores forget it's vegan.

Note: I almost never make this with the kielbasa, if you do use it, add it just before you serve each bowl of soup or it will turn soggy and nasty. So, I leave you with a great soup to slurp on while you're rooting on your favorite team. And on that note, GO SEAHAWKS!!!!

Cabbage & Beer Soup - serves 8 

1 half of a large head of cabbage, cored and shredded or thinly sliced
2 large carrots, peeled and shredded 
6 cups vegetable broth
1 can (12 ounces) pilsner beer (I use Miller Lite, because I know it's vegan)
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
2 cups french fried onions, divided
1 pkg vegan kielbasa (optional)
vegetable spray
salt & pepper to taste
1. Coat stock pot with nonstick cooking spray and saute the sliced kielbasa (if using) over medium high for 5 minutes. Stir often and try to brown the pieces as evenly as possible. Remove and set aside. 

2. Spray the stock pot again and saute cabbage/carrot until translucent and tender about 10 minutes. 

2. Add broth, beer, seeds, and one cup of fried onions. Bring to a boil then reduce to low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Add salt & pepper and adjust seasonings and cook for another 10 minutes. Spoon soup into bowls, add vegan kielbasa, and top with remaining onions. 

10 comments:

  1. woo! this looks very good. Haven't heard of kielbasa before though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man this looks pretty good. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another soup that is making me drool! This one is going on my 'must make' list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok...that soup looks too amazing to pass up. I'm definitely going to be making it for the hubs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bookmark'd! thanks for the post - the pic sold me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat! This totally looks like something I would dig.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh this looks yummy! Im adding it to my German Feast night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love cabbage soup, and I think beer is a genius addition!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow this looks AMAZING! i'm really digging soups in this fall weather and will have to make yours for sure.

    ReplyDelete