Thursday, October 21, 2010

Did Someone Ask For More Soup?


I will TRY not to cook soup every night...I will TRY not to cook soup every night. Oh, hi, you're here. I should probably confess to you now that I love soup. I could exist on it almost exclusively. There are so MANY of them and they are so versatile. They help you use up the 27 pieces of aging produce and/or containers of leftover legumes and grains that you have idling in the fridge. The long, rainy Fall/Winter season in Seattle is the time of year when I want to hibernate inside every day with my cats, my man, my TV shows, my books, and my soups. One of the many wonderful things about soup is that can be comforting and hearty on a cool Fall day or light and refreshing on a hot summer night. Soup is all things to all people... except to my husband. He doesn't really think of soup as a real food (!!!), but more like a snack (!!!). So, despite all of my instincts to the contrary, I will TRY not to cook soup every night. Having said that, I did cook up a DELICIOUS soup last night and the night before (see previous post). Will I cook soup again tonight? Or will my love for my husband trump my selfish soup needs? Stay tuned for the next episode of "As The Owen Household Turns". Here is my recipe for last night's gem:

Cream of Parsnip & Leek Soup (Makes 4-6 servings)

2 tbs. olive oil
2 large parsnips, peeled & diced
1 large leek, sliced and washed
4 cups of vegetable stock
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup non-dairy milk (or cashew cream if you're feeling fancy - see previous post for recipe)

Cook parsnips and leeks in oil in a covered stockpot over medium heat until soft. Add stock and cook for 20 minutes. Place soup into a blender and puree. Return to the pot and stir in the milk and season to taste. Serve piping hot.

4 comments:

  1. That looks great! I agree about Seattle and soup - once work is over all I want to do is hole up in my house with various hot liquids

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup looks great to me. I love soup too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! It's chilly soup weather here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Quite the perfect late-fall, cold and cloudy day, comfort recipe!

    ReplyDelete