Monday, November 15, 2010

Pumpkin Fest 2010


Not sure if two recipes qualify for a proper pumpkin fest, but here goes. I've spent a year perfecting this muffin recipe and, because it's the holiday season and I'm feeling extra magnanimous, I'm giving it to you! Don't blame me though if you get called a liar when you serve these little beauties to carnivores and tell them they're vegan.


Pumpkin-Apple Muffins with Streusel Topping
Makes about 18+ muffins

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
egg replacer for two eggs (I use Ener-G)
1 cup canned, plain pumpkin
1/2 cup melted vegan margarine
1-1/2 cups of applesauce

TOPPING:
1/4 cup turbinado sugar (essential for the crunch factor!)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoon vegan margarine

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt and set aside.
2. Prepare the egg replacer in a separate, large bowl, following the package directions EXCEPT I HIGHLY recommend that you whip the egg replacer with an electric whisk or stand up mixer until really frothy. I have not had good success getting the frothy, eggy consistency when whipping by hand.
3. Add the pumpkin, applesauce, and melted margarine to the "egg" mixture and stir to combine; stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
4. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
5. For topping, combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle 1 teaspoon over each muffin. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until muffins are done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

This is one of the fastest soups I make and it is so delicious. I have veganized a version of this that I found in " The Food Processor Bible" cookbook. You might be thinking, "Pumpkin and dill? What the...", but trust me, it works.

Cream of Pumpkin Soup
Serves 2-4

1 medium onion, halved
2 tbs. vegan margarine
2-1/4 cups water
2 cups canned, plain pumpkin puree
2 tsp. "no chicken" bouillon granules
1/2 tsp. dried dill
1-1/4 cup non-dairy milk
salt & pepper to taste
vegan sour cream (optional)

1. Process onion in a food processor until chopped, then cook in margarine over medium heat for about 10 minutes until glossy and tender.
2. Add water, pumpkin, bouillon, and dill.
3. Cover partially and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
4. Put soup in food processor and process until pureed, then return to the pot.
5. Add the milk and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Optionally, add a plop of sour cream to the top and a little sprinkling of dill. Serve with artisan bread.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, both of those look amazing. I need to make those muffins really soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ihave to say that is the best pumpkin muffin I have ever set my eyes on. Just wish I could taste it now. I am mainly vegetrian, but do indulge in many vegan dishes, so I must say Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, yum, YUM! Can't wait to try theses out! YUMMMMMM!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They both look great. Can't wait to test them out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both look awesome. I did a whole week of pumpkin recipes in 2008 that made me near homicidal. Just two is PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete