Thursday, November 4, 2010

Vegan Shrimp


So, about a month ago I stumbled across these little vegan shrimps at my local, non-profit, vegan grocery, Sidecar. They are one of MANY vegan meat-replacement products offered by a company called All Vegetarian, Inc.. I had fantasies of making up a batter and deep-frying them, but I guess I've been too unmotivated for that.

Instead, for a quick dinner the other night, I cooked up a box of Zatarain's Gumbo Mix and threw the shrimps in there. I have to say that I was FLOORED at the accuracy of the shrimp-like texture, although, I'm not sure much flavor was coming through. The gumbo turned out pretty good, for one of those out-of-a-box type meals. I served it with sauteed mushrooms and roasted cauliflower. Next time, I'll definitely batter and deep-fry those prawns and whip up homemade cocktail and tartar sauces. Yum!

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, I have access to these at a local enormous Asian food market . . . and now I am both curious and scared. That's quite a nice plate of food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been dreaming of vegan shrimp (or any vegan seafood) for the looooongest time.
    My local Asian grocery store is pretty cool but they don't speak Spanish or English (they are Chinese) so they don't understand me when I ask if they can get this kind of thing.
    I need to print out some photos of packages and take them with me. That meal looks so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That meal looks great.

    I've been hesitant in picking up packaged fakeshrimp from my local asian grocery, but mixing it in a gumbo would be great. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooohhh...I have some vegan shrimp in the freezer. Why didn't I think of gumbo? Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thanks for bringing these to my attention. very excited to look for them at the store!
    Amanda
    www.vegancents.com

    ReplyDelete